Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Novel Concept

This is your screenplay.
This is your book.
Can't tell the difference?
Then dodge my right hook.

Apologies. I needed the rhyme. The point stands: A book and a screenplay are different things. The key difference (other than the obvious ones) is in the descriptions.

ACTION LINES should look like this.

What action lines should not look like is this. Right here. You're looking at it. You're bored already aren't you? I am, and I'm writing it. Paragraphing, paragraphing away, too much text, killing trees. Why, yes, printer cartridges do grow on trees in my world, thanks for asking! Hang on, I think I've got a few other random points to make - and as long as it's all squished into one paragraph it only counts as one line. This'll save on my page count too! Isn't this swee-

They don't need to be one sentence but if I see a fully loaded graph I start to skim. If you use them, see what can be cut. If something can't be cut, perhaps it deserves its own line.

Save your poetic invocation of the Georgia wetlands on a late summer morning for the novel.