Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"HELLO: My Name Is..."

It's not often I see a synopsis, so on this note YMMV. But why in the name of Great Ceasar's ghost do so many writers feel the need to mention the lead's name?

Unless it's a famous historical or fictional name, like Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, you should leave it out. It's not like reading "After losing her spot on the Olympic synchronized swim team Kate* Winterbourn must accept her status as an alternate... AND DIFFUSE A TICKING BOMB!" will prompt me to think 'Didn't I meet Kate at that 4th of July party?'

When in doubt leave it out goes double for your synopsis and logline. The lead's name should be straight to the bin, nothing but net.

*I'd also like to point out not all white chicks are named Kate, but as a white chick called Kate myself I'll just STFU and GBTW.