Friday, June 15, 2012

Buried Under 50 Feet of Gild: A Lily

True, we readers are often a tired bunch. We read at five in the morning to avoid exercise. We read on planes to avoid talk about 'the game last night.' We read when other people's children scream because other people's children are screaming. We can miss things. Been known to happen.

That is no reason to highlight a joke WITH CAPS! AND BOLD TYPE! AND UNDERLINING! AND ITALICS!

This is the screenplay equivalent of Myspace sparkle font. It makes me recoil from my screen. I can't tell if you think I'm dumb or if this is your one good joke and you're worried I'll miss it.

I respect you. I've been where you are. I know it's a hard job. Throw a little respect back to your reader and the process works better for everyone. Especially you.

/the four exclamation marks alone would have sufficed